Having smooth, hair-free skin is something many people desire. While shaving and waxing are popular hair removal methods, they only provide temporary results and irritate sensitive skin. A revolutionary option that delivers longer-lasting smooth skin is using an IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) hair removal kit at home. IPL stands for Intense Pulsed Light. IPL hair removal kits use broad-spectrum light to target melanin in the hair follicles beneath the skin. The light gets absorbed by the melanin and converted to heat, which damages the follicles and prevents future hair regrowth.
The technology is similar to laser hair removal procedures in clinics, but the light pulses are less concentrated. While professional laser treatments offer lasting reduction, portable at-home IPL devices provide better long-lasting results and are more affordable and convenient for ongoing use.
Benefits of IPL hair removal kits
There are many advantages to using an at-home IPL hair remover instead of shaving, waxing, plucking, or professional laser treatments.
- Longer lasting results – IPL prevents hair regrowth for several weeks or months, based on hair type and body area. Repeat treatments lead to permanent hair reduction over time.
- Treats large areas – Devices are suitable for full body hair removal on legs, arms, underarms, and bikini lines. It is also possible to treat smaller facial areas.
- Little to no pain – The light pulses may produce a slight tingling or stinging sensation. But there is no harsh waxing or razor burn.
- No harsh chemicals – IPL treatments don’t involve irritating creams, bleaches, or chemicals. The light technology acts directly on hair follicles.
- Safe for most skin tones – Advanced IPL technology works well on light to olive/tan skin and darker hair colors. Always confirm the skin type is suitable.
How to choose an IPL hair remover?
- Power – Opt for a powerful high-intensity lamp or diode rated between 350,000-500,000 flashes. It ensures enough energy is released to disable follicles effectively.
- Safety features – Look for built-in skin sensors, treatment filters, and tones that indicate the device is ready and safe to use in a given area.
- Lamp size – Larger models allow you to cover more surface space efficiently during treatments.
- Number of flashes – Kits with 300,000+ total flashes will provide enough uses across body areas before requiring replacement lamps.
- Skin compatibility – Choose a kit specifically designed and FDA-cleared for your skin tone. Type 1-4 or I-IV is best for pale to light tan complexions. Type 5-6/V-VI suits darker skin tones.
Use an IPL hair remover
For best results, shave and exfoliate the treatment area thoroughly before starting. Avoid plucking, waxing, or chemical depilatories which alter follicles. Depending on body area and hair color, change intensity settings as needed. Incrementally increase with each treatment. Always use the safety glasses included to shield your eyes from light exposure. Draw the skin taut with your free hand while gliding the device across the treatment area. It ensures maximum contact with the light. Maintain firm pressure as you glide the light across the surface, but not too forcefully.